Mom forgot or Mom didn’t know about UVA & UVB rays, sunscreens or the harmful rays of the sun. Who knew? Growing up at the beach brought days of sailing, fishing and sunning. One factor is true- Mom may not have known then, but now Mom knows.
Aging including pigmentation changes, wrinkling, cancer, age spots, and skin texture changes are just a few of the skin conditions affected directly from the sun. To put it in simple terms, like Mom would.
UVA & UVB Rays and Sunscreen
- UVA rays will penetrate the deepest into the skin and when they do, they can kill the cells responsible for your weakened immune system. Yes, the body is very complex and you will not see the effects of UVA rays until much later in life. (after the damage is done)
- UVB rays cause the actually burn to the skin. This is what you see immediately. After much aloe, ice and cooling, you will think that the damage is repaired. Mom is here to tell you that the repair is only temporary.
When the skin feels the sun’s rays, it is already too late for the damage to the skin. The majority of the damage from the sun comes from inside the body. Damage from years before will come out as wrinkles, pigmentation, and problems with loose skin.
There are many types of cells in the skin and each cell has it’s own assignment and responsibility. Some are responsible as messengers to the lymphatic system. When the sun damages the skin, these messengers are also damaged, affecting the entire immune system in the body. So, it is very safe to say, there is really not a safe way to tan.
Really good for us sun worshipers, there are amazing alternatives for sunscreens today. A couple of favorites include:
- Image Skin Care Prevention + (with Matte, Spray, Tinted, Hydrating) – It’s a 2 in 1 (a moisturizer & a sunscreen)
- Environ Sunscreen SPF 25 (Must have a skin care consultation)
- Sisley Paris Super Creme SPF 15
Whichever sunscreen that you choose, check to make sure that the block is not a chemical clock, but more of a physical block. Get yourself covered up to protect your immune system!