- Hydrate. Healthy skin is hydrated skin! Despite being hot and humid, your skin is losing water because of what is called Transepidermal Water Loss (TEWL). The water evaporates into the air. Summer is hot, so be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Exfoliate. On average you generate a new layer of skin every two to four weeks. Usually what sits on top is a pile of “cruddy” old cells that have been getting funky for a while. When you slough off the “cruddy old cells”, guess what is underneath? New glowing skin. Exfoliating the dead stuff allows the skin to effectively absorb topical vitamins or moisturizers. Another benefit is that exfoliation helps to stimulate and circulate lymph fluids which aid in the elimination of toxins.
- Physical Exfoliation: Think sandblaster, scrubs, walnut shells, salts, pumice. Exfoliating the skin with a scrub like the Nancy Reagan Crystal Micro-polish Scrub is physically rubbing the “grit”, (not “grits”) on your skin to remove the dead skin cells. Small, circular motions, and don’t rub too hard, because it really can hurt. Twice a week at least for the whole body and three times a week for the face.
- Chemical Exfoliation: Gentle acids like alpha-hydroxy, lactic, glycolic, and citric acids do the same thing as their physical cousins as far as exfoliation, but you don’t have the mess. They just loosen the glue that holds the dead skin cells to the surface of the skin. The latest hot body smoother is the Derma-Lac Lotion by Environ. This 17% lactic acid moisturizer would smooth the skin any beachy queen.
- Repair & Protect. To set the “glow” on full power, now you need the big guns. First you want a cream or oil that is going to hydrate and repair damaged skin like the Nancy Reagan Skincare Face & Neck Anti-aging Infusion Crème Moisturizer. You won’t find products that will actually work at the drugstore or the department store. You need ingredients like DMAE, Alpha Lipoic Acid, high doses of Vitamins C, E, A, active ingredients, external vitamins and antioxidants. Load it up, because we are not getting any younger.
Age renewal is easy if your skin is treated with hydration, exfoliation, and regeneration of new healthy skin.Hold up you “beach” queen, you thought we were done? Did you remember your sunscreen? Protect that glowing skin with SPF of 30 or higher like the Image Prevention + Ultra Sheer Spray SPF 45. Have fun at the beach! (under the umbrella).